Get Involved by
Joining us for a led cycle or walk along the River Rea
Having fun recording the state of wildlife and green spaces with Wildlife Bingo
Winning a prize sharing your photos, stories and opinions by standing up for nature using #greenerbrum
Sunday 24th June 2018
We invite you all to join us for Greener Birmingham’s Day Out on Sunday 24th June to explore the fantastic green spaces of the River Rea. We’re organising cycle rides and walks with something for people of all ages and abilities. You will discover green spaces you never knew existed, meet community groups working to improve and protect these spaces, discover and record wildlife and maybe win some prizes. Scroll down for more info and visit our Resources page.
Many of the walks and rides will end up at Cofton Park to join the Move More Eat Well Big Healthy Lunch or you may decide to stop off along the way for your own picnic in a green space or to spend some time in nature.
If you can’t make it to the River Rea we have some great resources for you to be able to organise your own walk or cycle ride in your local green space. Active Streets have arranged the street closures of Cecil Rd and Blenheim Rd which will have activities around keeping active etc. (badminton, tennis, giant jenga, giant connect four, basketball). Blenheim Road will be participating in more wildlife orientated activites. Check out the Active Streets Facebook Page for more details.
If you want to meet up with your local friends of park group Birmingham Open Spaces Forum can put you in touch.
How to Win a Prize
1. Best photos of the #great and #notgreat sides of your green spaces in the city posted to instagram or twitter feed #greenerbrum on 24th June. Prize announced shortly.
2. Stand up for nature and share your views and comments and win a prize (to be announced shortly) for the best green-themed tweet to WM mayor @andy4WM and Leader of Birmingham City Council @brumleader on 24th June using #greenerbrum
3. For the chance to win one year of Free Membership* with the Wildlife Trust for Birmingham and the Black Country, simply share a photo of a species you find on your Wildlife Walk Bingo during the Greener Birmingham Day Out by 30th June using the #greenerbrum
Terms and Conditions available below.
Download your Wildlife Walk Bingo sheet here.
How to Join a Led Walk
Birmingham Family Walks – Explore the river Rea from Kings Norton to Longbridge
This linear walk starts at 11am in Kings Norton Park by the car park on Westhill Road, taking in the beautiful Kings Norton Local Nature Reserve where we’ll take time to explore and discover the wildlife hiding there with Emma from the Wildlife Trust for Birmingham and the Black Country. Then we’ll meander upstream through Northfield and onto Longbridge, where we’ll be able to catch a train back to Kings Norton. Link to Event More information: email@example.com
Bug Hunt and Wildlife Bingo at Kings Norton Local Nature Reserve
Explore this beautiful nature reserve and discover the wildlife living on the river, pools, woodland and meadows. We will provide wildlife bingo spotter sheets and bug catchers but feel free to bring your own binoculars.
This event is being run as part of the Greener Birmingham initiative, designed to encourage more people to get out and explore their local green and wild spaces.
How to Join Led Cycle Rides toward Cofton Park
10:00 depart Birmingham Hippodrome (Hurst St) - Led by Sustrans
10:30 depart Calthorpe Park - Led by Share Calthorpe and Balsall Heath Cycling Clubs
11:00 depart Holders Lane (Canon Hill park) - Led by Joyful Bellas and Fellas Cycling Club
11:30 depart Kings Norton Park - Led by Joyful Bellas and Fellas Cycling Club
11:30 depart Victoria Common - Led by Cycle South Brum
Turn up 30 minutes before hand at Holders Lane, Kings Norton Park and Victoria Common to hear more from the local volunteers helping keep your green spaces healthy and how you can get involved. Route map here.
All rides are heading to Cofton Park for the Move More Eat Well Big Healthy Lunch event so bring a picnic.
Bring refreshments and have a great day getting active in the city's green spaces and don't forget to Take Action.
*Terms & conditions for Prize 3
1. Entries submitted before 24thJune 2018 will not be accepted.
2. Entries submitted after 30thJune 2018 will not be accepted.
3. Entries will only be accepted in the format specified above.
4. One (1) winner will be chosen at random by the Wildlife Trust for Birmingham and the Black Country and the winner will be notified by email or social media by 31st July 2018.
5. The Prize is one year of individual membership for the Wildlife Trust for Birmingham and the Black Country.
6. Once notified, the winner will need to provide their name, contact details and address to The Wildlife Trust for Birmingham and the Black Country in order to create the membership record.
7. The membership pack and card will be issued within 10 working days of the winner being notified.
8. The winner will be entitled to 12-months of free membership from the date the membership card is issued.
9. No cash alternative to the prize will be offered. The prize is not transferable. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter reserves the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
10. The Promoter cannot accept responsibility for loss or corruption of data in transit.
11. The Promoter is the Wildlife Trust for Birmingham and the Black Country, Centre of the Earth, 42 Norman Street, Birmingham, B18 7EP. Twitter:@WTBBC Facebook: /WTBBC
12. The name of the winner can be obtained after 31stJuly 2018 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org